When it comes to SEO, what is the most important factor for the success of the website? Even if the answer seems complicated, it is very simple, provide people exactly what they are looking for. So ideally, you should build tactics around this fundamental rule. The Search Engine Land’s Periodic Table of SEO is ‘the’ tool which all search engine experts and marketers follow to design a winning SEO strategy. Based on the SEO periodic table, there are three major groups of SEO success factors:
Op-page SEO refers to the content and everything that is under the publisher’s control, i.e. images, text, videos, as well as factors that the search engines can recognise, like HTML tags, structured data, etc.
You need to build a responsive website that complies with desktops and mobiles equally well. The content must be fresh and unique which provides value to the time that a user spends on your website.
You need to find the answers to some vital questions:
- How are the keywords placed on your website? Their placement should be natural and relevant.
- Is your website content readable in the native language, or does it have the Google voice support?
- What is your click-through rate and how much do people explore the other pages of your website?
- And finally, does your website load quickly so that the user does not have to keep waiting?
Off-page optimisation talks about the external factors which search engines consider those that are not under the publisher’s control. Link building is a mammoth science in itself. Quality link-building from an authority website is important to establish your identity in the industry. For e.g. hyperlinks with .edu and .gov are more valuable as they are from educational institutes and government organisations.
Social sharing has gained tremendous ground in SEO over the last few years and if your content goes viral, more people will be reading your content, lead to greater engagement and more backlinks.
All websites want to be in the good books of the authority named Google. Some rules that you should not violate are:
- Safe and secure website: Does your website have SSL certificates? Search engines want visitors to visit websites which they can access safely. If not, Google reduces your search rankings.
- Comment spam: Spammers can often malign your website by putting inappropriate links in the comment section.
- Over-optimisation: Too many keywords crammed in the entire article? Google will accuse you of over-optimisation.
Google lays out guidelines to promote clean search operations which will ultimately improve the website’s search results. These violations aim at disrupting these SEO policies for which Google slaps penalties and ban websites from Search operations.
Check out the survey from Moz search Engine ranking factors to understand what drives the website to achieve success in search engine optimisation. If you create quality content with a responsive website with great link building and follow all guidelines of SEO techniques by Google, you’ll be unstoppable.